can't get ringtone to work on rant!

12>

gulabjamun786

Post #19 November 2008, 03:24
Hello,

I just got a Samsung Rant. If I save an MP3 onto my PC and then transfer to my phone, I can only listen to the sound file through the file manager. I can't assign the MP3 as a ringtone.

If I use the "send to phone" option from Zedge.net, I get the SMS message with the link to download. I can download the MP3 ringtone just fine and listen to it on the phone, but then I don't see any options on assigning the MP3 as a ringtone.

What should I do?

Thanx.

gulabjamun786

Post #29 November 2008, 04:05
FYI... I went on mobile.zedge.net using my cell phone's browser, logged in with my username/password, and attempted to download an mp3 ringtone. I got the mp3 to play on my phone, but again, there were no options to actually download the file or assign it as a ringtone. I'm lost. The cell phone manual hasn't helped, either.

Quitter

Post #39 November 2008, 04:08
Maybe your cell doesn't support mp3 ringtones like many other models....

AlexDinNY

Post #410 November 2008, 17:12
I had the same issue. I can listen to it but I can't assign or save it to the phone. Does it have to be in a different format? qcp maybe?

gulabjamun786

Post #510 November 2008, 19:19
Just an update...
I connected the phone to my computer using the USB cable to see if I could somehow access the phone's storage and find the directory where ringtones are stored. No luck. I could only access the SD memory card, which has 4 default directories on it. I adjusted settings in Windows to view hidden folders, but that didn't help.

BTW, the Samsung Rant (SPH-M540) is a very new phone. It does support MP3 files, but my guess is that Samsung and/or Sprint made the phones such that we can't use our own MP3s as ringtones (i.e. free ringtones). I guess they want us to buy ringtones from the Sprint Lounge, which to me seems like a rip-off. I don't want to pay a few bucks for a few seconds of audio that I can get for free off the internet.

I also checked Samsung's web site and the FAQ for the Rant. It seems to confirm that we can't upload MP3s to the phone to use as ringtones.

Oh well. It's a new phone. Maybe in coming weeks/months someone will have some hacks or tricks.

aq7939

Post #621 November 2008, 22:59
gulabjamun786

i dont think that the issue with sprint because i was able to download free ringtones from another website call funformobile.com
and iwas able to set them as a ring tone it was mp3 everything i am thinking there is some kind if support we need from zedge for samsung phones because almost every body has this problem i to can hear the ringtone but can not download.

tonyv911

Post #722 November 2008, 16:23

Quote of user: aq7939

gulabjamun786

i dont think that the issue with sprint because i was able to download free ringtones from another website call funformobile.com
and iwas able to set them as a ring tone it was mp3 everything i am thinking there is some kind if support we need from zedge for samsung phones because almost every body has this problem i to can hear the ringtone but can not download.

Can you let us know what folder on the phone you loaded them to?

aq7939

Post #823 November 2008, 21:10
it automatically saved them to ringers after the download which is located in My Content

tayl0124

Post #929 November 2008, 18:39
it must be a zedge problem It won't let me download wallpapers either, only view them.

cuLLenLuVeR

Post #1017 February 2009, 02:27

Quote of user: tayl0124

it must be a zedge problem It won't let me download wallpapers either, only view them.

To get the wallpapers you downloaded from Zedge on your phone, try this!

When you connect your Samsung Rant to the computer with the USB cable, go into tools, mass storage, and connect to PC.
Then a screen will pop up showing all the folders in yout phone's memory card. Select DCIM then creat a new folder, name it wallpapers if you'd like.
Then download the wallpaper, hopefully it sends a shortcut link to your desk top screen..
Click and drag the wallpaper shortcut to the wallpaper folder (hope that makes sense)
Then disconnect your phone.
Go back to mass storage and then go to file manager. Select memory card.
Select the DCIM file from your phone, go to the wallpapers file you made. Select the file.
Click options, view, fit to screen, options again, screen capture, then save to phone.
This will send a copy of the wallpaper into your photo album IN the phone.
Then just assign the picture as screen saver...

hope this helps! as for the ringtones problem, i have the same one BOO!

12>

This topic has 12 posts, spanning 2 pages.